Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Scenes of Grace 2


We turn today to another beautiful hymn by Civilla Martin, “His Eye Is on the Sparrow”.  As we found God’s great and marvelous grace in Psalm 90 “from everlasting”, picturing Genesis 1 “In the beginning”,  we find a new scene of grace in Genesis 2.  God had made the sparrows and all the other creatures.  He had also made man.  For all the creatures God had created a mate.  For man He had not yet done so.  In Genesis 2 we find God saying, “It is not good that man should be alone.”  God was concerned with the sparrows and God was concerned with Adam.  

Civilla Martin asks, “Why should I be discouraged? Why should my heart be lonely?”  She answers her question emphatically that she need not be because “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”  I feed the birds in my yard year around.  More sparrows come to my feeder than any other type of bird.  It reminds me that there are a lot of sparrows.  They seem to be the most prolific birds around.  Yet, God cares for each of them.  Not one falls to the ground without the Father taking notice.  If He notices the sparrows and cares for them, how much more does He care for His own dear children?

In His marvelous grace God saw that Adam was incomplete by himself.  God had given him all the animals as companions, but it wasn’t enough.  He had given him a job to do, but it wasn’t enough.  He had given all the good food and living environment that he needed, but it wasn’t enough.  God didn’t chastise Adam for being incomplete.  He loved Adam and he wanted what was best for His special creation, so God gave Adam a wife.  His grace was concerned for the need of Adam and His power satisfied that need.

God is still concerned for the sons of Adam.  Although we have sinned and offended Him in every way imaginable, He still sees our need and desires to help. This time a wife won’t do.  This time we need a Savior so He sent us His Son.  In grace He hung on the cross and died for us.  In power He was raised from the dead.  Now He takes us as His bride, his special new creation for the perfect Adam.  From the Garden to the Cross to Eternity God’s grace is revealed to us.  We can joyfully sing with Civilla, “I sing because I’m happy; I sing because I’m free; for His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”  The grace of God never rests. 
 
      You may also enjoy this inspirational devotional book, The Gospel According to Molly,
available here: 
                        http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTSN1DU
  

No comments:

Post a Comment