Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Happy Giver


One of the saddest persons in literature is Ebenezer Scrooge.  His idea of a good day was to say “Bah, humbug” to everyone he met.  When asked for a pittance for the poor, he was far more ready to give the fundraiser a piece of his mind than a piece of his coin.  It is hard to ever find a happy miser.

God has a different way to happiness.  In Psalm 41:1 David said, “Happy is the man who considers the poor.”  In 41:2 he added, “He shall be blessed (happy) upon the earth.”  Ebenezer Scrooge learned this lesson through a mysterious dream.  God gives us this lesson in a straight forward promise.

As I have said before, we live in a tough neighborhood.  There are people being evicted on a weekly basis.  One day we looked out the window and across the street was a family that we “casually” knew who had everything on the front sidewalk of their apartment.  We are not rich and I knew we couldn’t pay their rent, but my wife and I went over and asked them if there was anything we could do.  It was with some hesitation because we knew we couldn’t do much.  “Yes,” they said. “You can take our children and take care of them for us.”  My wife and I looked at each other and out of my mouth came the strangest response.  “OK.”

An hour later they delivered their eleven year old twins to our house with only the clothes on their backs.  Then they moved out of town.  I did insist that the mother give us a letter authorizing us to take necessary medical action and enroll them in school in the fall.  Suddenly we had two very semi-legal foster children.  I remember taking them to buy school clothes and I had the girl with me.  A lady stopped us in the aisle and asked if I were her foster dad. (The children were of a different race.)  The girl watched me closely.  “No,” I said.  “I am her grandpa.”  I made a real friend then and there.  We were both happy.

That is what God promised.  “Happy is the man who considers the poor.”  Spice up your life with a little happiness.  Care for those who can’t care for themselves.  Remember, “God loves a cheerful giver”.  He will add cheerfulness back to the giver.

There’s happiness round the corner for everyone who shares

God in heav’n will never forget the gifts of those who care. 




Visit my website at www.davidccraig.net for inspiring Christian books.  Coming this month is my newest book Taking Care of Joe.  This is the story of a caregiver for an Alzheimer’s patient.  See how God adds His grace in the face of this horrible disease and how living a life of love is living a life NOT interrupted. 

You can now also find some of my selected devotions at www.FEBC.org. Just click "blog" on the menu bar.  You can also learn more about this great mission organization by reading through their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment