Monday, November 18, 2013

Running into Fear


Every week in our paper there is a story about someone who committed a very minor offence.  They may have simply been driving with a dead tail light and were pulled over by the police.  Then, however, they jackrabbit out of there like they were being chased by all the demons of hell.  Why did they do that? They were driving with a guilty conscience.  In their car, well hidden and out of sight, are a lot of drugs or guns.  The police don’t know it until they start to run. Because of guilt over a crime committed but unknown they have run directly into fear. 

Jacob had committed some pretty serious offences.  He had lied to his father.  He had cheated his brother.  He had stolen a blessing.  He was on the run for his life.  Then he stopped and slept on a stone.  During the night he had a dream that a ladder went up from his resting place to heaven.  Angels were ascending and descending the ladder.  He woke up in fear.  He was on the run from sin and he had run, seemingly, right into the entrance to the throne of the Almighty God. 

What does the Divine Officer say?  “Here, Jacob, I make a promise to you.  I will be with you and all the families of the earth will be blessed through you.”  Once again sin has been supplanted by grace.  That didn’t mean that Jacob had “gotten away” with anything.  God was watching him.  If we pursue a life of sin that can be a scary thought.  But also he knew for sure that God was with him.  Through all the troubles of life and in the midst of great temptation, that can be a very comforting thought.  Once again we have to replace our “God with a club” theory for a “God who is my Savior” fact.  The righteous man falls, but he also rises again.  This was true of Jacob.  God didn’t beat him while he was down.  As a pastor I have dealt with too many people who succumb to that expectation.  Remember, beloved, God saved us from judgment, not just so He could whip out some more, but so that we could live in hope with Him. 

Remember Jacob’s ladder and fear not, but have hope in God.  Consider these words by Isaac Watts in his hymn “God, My Supporter and My Hope”.    

“God, my supporter and my hope, my help for ever near; Thine arm of mercy held me up when sinking in despair. Thy counsels, Lord, shall guide my feet through this dark wilderness; Thine hand conduct me near Thy seat, to dwell before Thy face.” 
 
 
Visit my website at www.davidccraig.net for inspiring Christian books.
You may also find some of my selected daily devotions at www.blog.FEBC.org   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment