Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Grace for the Invisible

I was always a very shy child.  I didn’t walk home from school with other children.  I didn’t have friends over to play.  I cannot remember the name of any other children in my elementary or junior high classes.  I have never been to a high school reunion and I can remember the names of only six classmates and four of those went to college with me.  If there had been a category in the yearbook for the person most likely to remain invisible, I might have won the category.  I was shy.  I am shy.  But I am no longer invisible.
One night forty-one years ago, I heard about someone who would be a friend of sinners.  That name struck me on two fronts.  First, this person would be a friend.  Second, this person would be a friend to me who knew only too well my own sins.  In Matthew 11:19 Jesus is called the Friend of Sinners.  I listened carefully to the speaker.  I was moved by the Holy Spirit to understand what was said and to believe.  That night ended with two things.  My sins were forgiven and I had a Friend.
It is rather amazing, really, that that shy young man would go on to be a pastor, an evangelist, a missionary, a teacher and a minister of music.  All of those are public roles.  All of those require someone to lead, not hide.  How is that possible?  It is because I am not alone in any of those roles.  I always have a good friend, my best friend right beside me.  He has never left me nor forsaken me since we met.  I don’t face a crowd and freeze.  I face a crowd and my friend holds my hand and says, “Let’s do this”. 
I am still shy.  I love writing.  It means less personal interaction, but it also lets me work with my friend in what He called me to do that night 41 years ago.  It lets me reach out and communicate His care for His friends and to those who He wants to be His friends.  Jesus doesn’t just pick one friend and ignore the rest.  Jesus can be the best friend of millions at one time and each and every one will be just as special to Him as if they were the only one.  Jesus is the Friend of Sinners. 

Share with me these wonderful words of Wilbur Chapman. “Jesus! What a Friend for sinners! Jesus! Lover of my soul; Friends may fail me, foes assail me, He, my Savior, makes me whole.  Jesus! What a strength in weakness! Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing, He, my Strength, my victory wins.  Hallelujah! What a Savior! Hallelujah! What a Friend! Saving, helping, keeping, loving, He is with me to the end.”


For quality inspirational, educational, and fictional Christian books visit www.davidccraig.net

No comments:

Post a Comment