Wednesday, September 20, 2017

God Will Take Care of It

Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” Romans 12:19 KJV
When Jesus told His followers to turn the other cheek, what do you suppose He meant? Too often today we don’t even quote that verse. The church militant has begun to think in terms of human instead of divine action. Is our militancy supposed to be against flesh and blood or against principalities and powers of this earthly darkness? If someone who lives under the forces of darkness were to insult my wife, am I supposed to punch him in the nose? Is that militant Christianity? If someone butchers babies in a clinic am I supposed to bomb that clinic or stalk that doctor and kill them? Is that militant Christianity?
This is not a random question. In Genesis 34 we find that Israel’s daughter, Dinah, has been raped by the prince of Shechem. Dinah was the seventh child of Leah and was probably only ten to twelve years old at this time. Her brothers, Simeon and Levi, conspired to get even, or take vengeance, on the people of Shechem and ultimately killed all the males in the city. Forty years later when Jacob is prophesying about the future of his children he had this to say about Simeon and Levi, “They are instruments of cruelty and my soul shall not enter their council nor my honor be united with them.” Since he was a prophet his words were uttered by the Holy Spirit and not just his own views. God was not happy that Dinah’s brothers took vengeance. God has called us to a walk that is hard to follow when our emotions get involved. But even then He is God and wants us to obey Him and glorify Him. That is the true church militant.

Dear Father, Help me remember You when I most want to react as me. Amen.


You can contact me and find inspiring Christian books at my website: www.davidccraig.net
If you don’t already subscribe to this blog, you can do so and receive it each day M-F by choosing the Abundant Grace section on my website and signing up for free delivery every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment