Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Ever Ready Servant


And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'.” Luke 17:7 NKJV
I love English novels. For relaxation they are my first reading choice. A good story needs a wealthy lord and many servants. I am constantly amazed at how long and hard a good servant worked. They were always up before the household and done when the last member of the house went to bed. There was no thought of servanthood being a nine-to-five job. Moreover, servants were always invisible. They were not an object of attention. Their devotion was unquestionable and their readiness simply an expected part of their position.
When Jesus spoke of servanthood He did not speak of being an employee. He spoke to those who understood what it meant to be a servant – tireless, enduring, silent, self-effacing, ever and always at the Master’s call. When Jesus spoke of servanthood He did so in terms of carrying a cross which marked the servant’s death to self. Paul told the Romans “This is your reasonable service.” Jesus is still looking for such servants to labor for Him in His house. May we be ever ready.

Precious Savior, You have been a servant for my salvation, help me to follow in Your path. Amen. 


You can contact me and find inspiring Christian books at my website: www.davidccraig.net
You may also find some of my selected daily devotions at http://blog.febc.org/
You may also enjoy the Gospel dog blog, “The Gospel According to Molly”, and the Alzheimer’s blog, “Taking Care of Joe” both found on my website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment