Friday, August 15, 2014

Husbands and Wives

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.” Ephesians 5:25 KJV
In my office I have eight pictures of my beloved wife Jacque. They are on the walls, my desk and book shelves. They are from her childhood, our wedding and our growing older together. In my next book, “Letters from Nobody”, I say repeatedly “You are the best wife ever.” Of course, it is just a fiction book, but the sentiments are real. I try not to just say it, however, but I also try to show it. If I can feel so strongly toward my wife, how strongly can Christ feel toward His?
He could say that He loves His bride, His Church, but He would much rather show it. Paul says that He loved us so much that He gave Himself for us. I haven’t died for my wife yet, so I have a ways to go. But He didn’t just die. That is, of course, necessary to make us His wife, but He also lives for us. Daily He prays for us. Daily He comforts us. Daily He holds our hand in all the trials of life. He went through a trial where no one held His hand. He knows how it feels to be lonely, deserted, beaten up by the world and in need of a friend. Daily He is that Friend to us. Yes, Christ loves the church, present tense. The only real question is, how do we, His bride, feel and respond to Him?

Dear Father, You have given us such a gift through the love of Your Son, please stir us to love Him fully in return. Amen.  


There will be a special Saturday edition tomorrow and the benediction will be then. 

You can contact me and find inspiring Christian books at my website: www.davidccraig.net
You may also find some of my selected daily devotions at http://blog.febc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment