Friday, February 13, 2015

By God's Mercy; Not Our Efforts

So then it is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God who shows mercy.” Romans 9:16
I enjoy watching sports. I am not a fanatic of a team but fan of the game. What I really enjoy is to watch the amazing skill the professionals display when they play. They have worked so hard, been so disciplined to get where they are. They continue to give it their all to stay at that level and remain a star. It is truly a matter of will and of human effort. Too many people think that our eternal life, the great reward, is gained the same way.
People can be extremely self-disciplined. They can maintain great self-control. They can push themselves to extremes of piety or asceticism. They think that like the athlete they will gain the ultimate prize of heaven by their great effort. God said it doesn’t work that way. We are saved by grace through faith. Personally I am very thankful for that; otherwise I would never make it. And neither will anyone else.

Dear Father, Thank You for Your mercy that has saved my soul. Amen. 



The Friday Benediction
Until Monday, my friends, may the good God envelop you with His grace; may you prove the common confession of faith, “I believe in the holy Christian church and in the fellowship of the saints”, and may you be enriched with joy and hope as you exercise that confession this weekend.  Amen



You can contact me and find inspiring Christian books at my website: www.davidccraig.net
If you don’t already subscribe to this blog, you can do so and receive it each day M-F by choosing the Abundant Grace section on my website and signing up for free delivery every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment