Friday, February 6, 2015

We May Deceive Ourselves; but not God

For the good that I would, I do not; but the evil which I would not, I do.” Rom. 7:19
I have met some pretty uppity people in my time. They are so sure of their own righteousness that they barely deign to be in the company of sinners. These are people who believe that they have become perfect in the flesh and feel sorry for all the other poor Christian sinners who haven’t arrived yet. We all tend to this way of thinking to a certain extent. We have become “more” obedient than the next person because we do less bad things than we see them doing.
We all need a quick lesson from Paul. He says that he still gave into the flesh when he didn’t want to and failed to live in the Spirit when he did want to. He doesn’t say that he used to do that. He says that he is still doing that at the time he wrote this letter. He isn’t proud of it, but he is not going to deny doing it. He knows that his only hope each day is Christ, not self.

Dear Father, Help me not to get uppity toward those who I falsely assume are worse Christians than me. Help me understand my only hope each day is Christ. Amen.


                                                   The Friday Benediction
Until Monday, my friends, may the good God envelop you with His grace; may you prove the common confession of faith, “I believe in the holy Christian church and in the fellowship of the saints”, and may you be enriched with joy and hope as you exercise that confession this weekend.  Amen




You can contact me and find inspiring Christian books at my website: www.davidccraig.net
If you don’t already subscribe to this blog, you can do so and receive it each day M-F by choosing the Abundant Grace section on my website and signing up for free delivery every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment