Friday, November 22, 2013

The Conqueror of Fear


If we are honest we will admit that the world is a very fearful place.  It can be fearful in ways many people would forget to put on the list.  It can be fearful in love.  Yes, even there.  Gentlemen, did any of you fear just a little when you popped the question to your beloved?  Ladies, did any of you ever fear that “Mr. Right” wouldn’t call back after that wonderful date?  Fear can exist in success as well as love.  Managers, did you have a little fear as you took the reins of greater responsibility?  Business owners, did you have fear as you launched your business?  Fear pops up all over.

In Deuteronomy and Joshua we find it repeatedly spoken of in terms of the changing of the guard.  Moses was about to die.  After 40 years of hassling him and giving him great grief, the people were finally attached to him as a leader.  But now he was announcing his death and new leadership.  The people were afraid.  Joshua was afraid.  That is a state of fear multiplied by three million people.  What was the message?  “And the LORD, He is the one who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed."  God repeated that same message to Joshua a few months later when the Israelites were preparing to cross the Jordan.  “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

This is a message we all really need to hear often.  We must, because God often repeated it.  God knows us best.  It is the message that He is the conqueror of fear.  He is with us.  He is bigger, better, smarter, more capable than any situation can possibly call for.  He is God.  Fear not, neither be dismayed.  You are mine.  I am with you.  We cannot say that God is backing every business we build, every promotion we receive or every love affair that thrills our heart.  But we can say with confidence that if God sends us on the errand then God will be with us to see it to completion. 

Ludie Pickett wrote the hymn “Never Alone”.  Her first stanza gives us God’s promise to Joshua.  “I’ve seen the lightning flashing; I’ve heard the thunder roll. I’ve felt sin’s breakers dashing, which almost conquered my soul. I’ve heard the voice of my Savior, bidding me still to fight on. He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone!”
 
 
 
The Friday Benediction
Until Monday, my friends, may the good God envelop you with His grace; may you prove the common confession of faith, “I believe in the holy Christian church and in the fellowship of the saints”, and may you be enriched with joy and hope as you exercise that confession this weekend.  Amen
 
 
Visit my website at www.davidccraig.net for inspiring Christian books.
You may also find some of my selected daily devotions at http://blog.febc.org/
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment