Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Fear of Change


I think perhaps I mentioned a little of this before.  I hate change.  In fact my dearly beloved bride of 38 years might even suggest that I am a teeny, weenie, itty, bitty obsessive about it.  Nonsense!  I just don’t like to make unnecessary changes is all.  The furniture is perfectly functional right where it is.  Really, is that such a bad thing?  We can all be just a little crazy about facing change.  But it happens. The bigger the change the more it can be upsetting.  Jacob was 130 years old when the message came to him to not only change the furniture, but he was to take his entire family from the Promised Land and move to Egypt.  Now that is change.

Multiple psychological studies have been done to demonstrate what affects major changes can have on our emotional well being.  A scale has even been developed with each kind of change categorized and given a point system.  The higher the stress of a change the higher the points are awarded.  Too many points and a person could experience some real negative side effects for a while.  Jacob was in the midst of some mind blowing changes.  He needed some reassurance that all would be well.

As this challenging time came upon Him God met with him and said, “I am God, the God of your father; do not fear to go down to Egypt, for I will make of you a great nation there. I will go down with you to Egypt’.”  (Gen. 46:3-4)  Now there is a promise that has never changed.  “I will go with you.”  Jesus said to His disciples, “And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”  Hebrews 13:5 reminds us of a promise God made in Deuteronomy 31, “I will never leave you or forsake you.”  God does not leave His own.  He stays right there with them

This is a great promise when it comes to dealing with change.  Whether it is change of job, change of family situation, change of living conditions or any other traumatizing change in life, God is there.  He is there!!  That is, after all, one of His names.  And if God is there, what harm can come to me in His Almighty presence? 

Edward H. Bickersteth, Jr. wrote “Peace, Perfect Peace”.  A couple of stanzas will help us cope with the traumas of change. Abide in the peace of God’s continued presence as you sing these lines.  “Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round? On Jesus’ bosom naught but calm is found.  Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown? Jesus we know, and He is on the throne.” 
 
 
Visit my website at www.davidccraig.net for inspiring Christian books.
You may also find some of my selected daily devotions at www.blog.FEBC.org   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment