Friday, November 20, 2015

Our Only Hope and Refuge

For You have been a strength to the poor and needy, a refuge from the storm, and a shade from the heat.” Isaiah 25:4
The Gospel Song, “Where Could I Go But to the Lord” has this repeated chorus: “Where could I go, where could I go, seeking a refuge for my soul? Needing a friend to help in the end, where could I go but to the Lord?”  (Sherrill, Billy/Sutton, Glenn) Isaiah proclaims this message for all of mankind – there is no place to go except to God.
Every life faces some sort of distress. Often if we saw our neighbor’s distress we would not want to exchange our own for theirs. Everybody has troubles and the only place of refuge is in the Lord. Money takes wings. Health fades quickly. Friends are fickle. Jobs are insecure. Relationships disappoint. Worldly truth changes daily. Governments can’t fix it all. But God is a refuge, a very present help in sorrow. God alone always cares, comforts, and keeps His promises. Where can we go? To the Lord!

Dear Father, Help us always remember our only true and lasting comfort is You. Amen.



The Friday Benediction
Until Monday, my friends, may the good God envelop you with His grace; may you prove the common confession of faith, “I believe in the holy Christian church and in the fellowship of the saints”, and may you be enriched with joy and hope as you exercise that confession this weekend.  Amen



Abundant Grace can be found at my website, www.davidccraig.net. You can subscribe to this daily devotion and receive it free M-F simply by placing your email address on the sidebar to follow this blog by email. You can also find Quality Christian Books on my website plus fundraising opportunities for your Christian organization or youth group.

No comments:

Post a Comment