Thursday, August 27, 2015

Before the Throne, My Surety Stands

Judah said, ‘I myself will be surety for him’.” Genesis 43:8-9
What is surety? One who has contracted to be responsible for another, especially one who assumes responsibilities or debts in the event of another party's default. That is the clear definition of what Judah meant in his pledge to Jacob. “I will be responsible for Benjamin and I will cover any debt he has.” With that promise in hand, Jacob finally let his sons return to Egypt for more grain.
Benjamin’s future was in doubt. Would he, like Simeon, be kept as a slave in Egypt? That was Jacob’s fear. Judah’s oath was that he would take Benjamin’s place if that danger presented itself. That is what Jesus did for us. We were in bondage to sin and death. Jesus assumed the payment for our sin by giving Himself as the perfect sacrifice for us. Our heavenly Father accepted that surety just as Jacob accepted the surety offered by Judah. Judah offered himself for one man. Jesus offered Himself for all men. Thanks be to God.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for assuming all my debts and giving me eternal life instead. Amen.



Abundant Grace can be found at my website, www.davidccraig.net. You can subscribe to this daily devotion and receive it free M-F simply by placing your email address on the sidebar to follow this blog by email. You can also find Quality Christian Books on my website plus fundraising opportunities for your Christian organization or youth group.

Also check out our new options for publishing your Christian book.
Visit us on Facebook at David Craig’s Books   

No comments:

Post a Comment